Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Gift

When I was young, my mother gave me a gift:
she gave me a childhood lived outdoors and without entertaining gadgets or gismos. She gave me time to build forts, explore the wilderness in the back yard, and dream. I dreamed a lot. I was obsessed with dreaming (sometimes I still am). She gave me the time to do it. 

My mother believed my health was more valuable than her own popularity with me or my friends, so she squeezed me fresh orange juice in the morning and sent me to school with carrot sticks and apples. I think she even knew (through her motherly intuition) that someday I would like these things too. 

Mom invested in bikes and soccer cleats and swimsuits, because she believed they were important not only for my physical health but also for my emotional and social well-being. She was a smart cookie.

My mom had (has) faith much larger than a mustard seed, and she did move mountains. Several of them. I believe in part because of watching her faith in action. Sometimes I didn't like what her faith did, but I could never deny its power. It was (is) real. 

To my mother, beautiful and courageous, Happy Mothers Day. I love you.

Mom's last visit to Uganda, December 2010

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I too am blessed to have been raised by a mother much like your own. I am very grateful for that... she sacrificed much for us kids growing up in rural Montana leaving city life behind. The life she was familiar with and comfortable with because she wanted us kids to have a better life.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...